An effective social media marketing course.
Learning what works and is doable.
The TLDR for social media used as an advertising vector is that you’re probably going about it the wrong way.
Having taught the use of social networks for businesses for about six years now, I’ve noticed that people often have the same misconceptions about social media that block their ability to use the platforms to achieve their goals.
Here are a few truths I’m usually hammering into people:
- Social media is a misnomer. It is not part of the mass media communications industry (i.e., print, news, film, broadcasting, advertising).
- SMM requires true, non-private, two-way communication between you and your audience.
- Being a social media marketer is as elegant as being a pickup artist at a bar.
- The success of a social media campaign isn’t in reach or sales, but in the supportive content independently created by your audience.
- The virality of social media can help or hurt you.
What you’ll learn from this course.
Understanding Social Media
Where it comes from and why it matters.
- The economics of social transactions.
- Anticipating the future of the social media space.
- Social media marketing vs. all other online marketing.
The Good and the Bad of Social Media Marketing
a.k.a. the Twitterfly effect.
- Advantages of SMM.
- Disadvantages of SMM.
- The law of unintended consequences
The holy grail of all online marketers.
- Types of UGC.
- Why UGC as a goal is better than visibility and engagement metrics.
- How to interact with good or bad UGC.
Developing a Social Media Marketing Strategy
Setting yourself up for success through failure.
- Objectives vs. Strategies vs. Tactics.
- Incorporating lean strategies.
- How to deliberately navigate in a realm of uncertainty.
Highly Effective Habits of a Kickass Social Media Pages
What to do and why to do it.
- Profiles Matter
- Keep it Focused
- Impress Yourself
- Visual Wins
- Steady Flow
- Contact Specific
- Worthwhile Conversations
- Share Follower Content
- Work With Yourself
- Salvage Content Flotsam
- Measure Everything
Social Media Management… When You Aren’t in Charge
It’s not you, it’s them.
- Define guidelines before you commit to the role.
- Setting realistic and attributable goals.
- Finding safety in numbers.
- Business vs. Personal vs. Private.